Crack, Mac n Cheese
Uh huh, you read that right. Crack(ers), Mac n Cheese… Like normal Mac n Cheese BUT better. WAY BETTER!
Now, I’m not sure if you’re like me but we always buy way too much food for Christmas, and I never thought I would say it but there’s only so many cheese boards a girl can eat. So I came up with this recipe to use up any leftover cheese you might have. Because lets face it, no one wants cheese to go to waste and a steamy hot plate of Mac n Cheese in front of the fire is what we all need in our lives.
The best part of this recipe is the topping. Oh yeahhhh, I’ve gone whole hog and developed a crunchy cheesy topping for your mega cheese mac n cheese! Again, using leftovers, the topping in made from crackers, hence using the term crack. Did you really think I was going to give you a recipe that actually used crack!?
My favourite at the rosemary crackers you can get from most supermarkets, if you don’t have these, don’t worry! Just add a bit of chopped rosemary to your tray before baking.
So the wait is over… Enjoy!
|240ml||Whole Milk, at room temp|
|120g||Any Leftover Cheese|
|A Pinch||Salt & Pepper, to taste|
|A Generous Grating||Parmesan, enough to mix with the crackers, or whatever you have leftover|
- First, cook the macaroni in generous amount of salted boiling water according to the package directions until al dente.
- In a sauce pan, add in butter and melt it.
- Then add in flour and cook it over low heat to make a white sauce.
- Then add in a quarter of milk and stir until smooth.
- Then add in the remaining milk and over medium heat bring it to a boil, gently stirring constantly.
- When boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Remove from the heat, and add in the cheese. Then stir until the cheese is melt and the sauce is smooth.
- For the cracker crumb topping, crush crackers and mix with the parmesan.
- Please on a lined tray in a medium hot oven for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Allow to cool whilst you finish off your mac n cheese.
- Now pour drained pasta over the cheese sauce in the pan and stir until well coated. No need to add pasta cooking water for this recipe.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- To serve, sprinkle the cracker crumb over the mac n cheese and enjoy!