Everyone’s talking about Dalgona, a whipped coffee made with just three ingredients. Originating from South Korea it seems to have – almost overnight – gained worldwide popularity
I’ve seen it everywhere, even in my dreams where it manifested itself as a cupcake. A milky, fluffy cake topped with rich, intense whipped coffee. What dreams are made of right?
Well those dreams have come true!
|For the Cupcakes:|
|For the Dalgona:|
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Line a muffin tin.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until they’re light and fluffy, about 2 minutes at medium-high speed using an electric or stand mixer.
- Slowly beat in the vegetable oil.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder to the egg mixture in the bowl, beating just enough to combine. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then beat again, to fully incorporate any sticky bits.
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, bring the butter and milk just to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir the mixture until the butter is completely melted.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture to the cake batter, mixing until everything is well combined. Scrape the bowl, and mix briefly, just until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top feels set. Remove the cakes from the oven, and place it on a rack to cool.
- For the Dalgona, add the instant coffee, sugar and hot water to a medium mixing bowl. Using an electric hand-held mixer, whip the coffee mixture until it is light brown, fluffy and holds stiff peaks when the whisk is removed.
- Top the cooled cupcakes with the Dalgona mix and enjoy!